Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy Marriage...

Since I've been reading these Karen Kingsbury books, I've found some very helpful hints for life. Now don't get me wrong, I know these books are fiction. But they are very thought-provoking. In this particular series (The Redemption series) there are 3 sets of series'. Redemption (5 books), First Born (5 books) and then Sunrise (4 books). I am on book 3 of Sunrise...so I only have 1 1/2 books left!

I say all of that to tell you this: I read an interesting list called "10 secrets to a happy marriage". I thought I'd share...

1.) God has you here to serve one another. Love, acted out is serving.

2.) Women need respect and nurturing. Love your wife so she knows you'd lay your life down for her. Continue to date her and admire her. Share a hobby, find something you can do together to have fun.

3.) Laugh often!

4.) Be patient. Love crumbles quickly under the weight of unmet expectations.

5.) Spend more time trying to fix yourself than your spouse.

6.) Keep short accounts. The Bible says, "Do not let the sun go down while you are angry." Make it a habit to forgive.

7.) Determine up front that divorce is not an option. (I think this should be #1, personally...but I'm just copying this!)

8.) Learn about love languages. Not all people show love or receive it the same way. Love is better received when it is in the language that person speaks! Acts of Service - Time - Physical Touch - Gifts - Words of Affirmation.

9.) Words of affirmation are a love language for all men.

10.) Men are born to be leaders. He cannot lead unless she gives him the confidence to do so. If you love your husband, build him up. Confident men do not seek love outside the home.

You may agree or disagree with one or more things on this list...but I thought they were at least worth writing down. Some are great pointers to pass on, or just keep in mind, I think.

Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment