Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kids, Family, etc...

You know, it seems that no matter what age you are...childhood seems like yesterday. It feels that way to me, sometimes, anyway. I lived with my Gram & Papaw (my dad's parents) for a while when I was very young and I was very close to them. Much closer than typical grandkids, I think. I try to get over to Gram & Papaw's house as often as I can (it's a 5 hour drive). My Papaw is in his 80's and my Gram is in her late 70's. Neither are in pristine health. Over the past year or so, I've come to the grand realization that my grandparents are not going to live forever! This has been very hard for me. I can't imagine not being able to pick up the phone and call my Gram. I can't imagine her not being here to see pictures of my grandchildren. It is just so hard to think about. But I know that they are both Christians and I know where they are going for eternity, when they are no longer on this earth with me. I guess that's where God's comfort "surpasses all understanding".

I look at my own kids. Lace, Josh & Cami.

Lace makes me so proud! I have only been in her life since she was 12...but, wow, all that has happened in these almost 10 years. She has grown from an indecisive, insecure, young girl...into a decisive, secure, sometimes overly opinionated (wonder where that comes from) beautiful woman! I am very blessed to have her as, not only a daughter of mine, but a friend. Now, I just can't wait until her & Julian have kids of their own...in their own time, no rush...but, they will be fantastic parents!



Josh is my miracle baby! There is no doubt in my mind that God spared him for a reason. According to doctors and 'modern medicine', he shouldn't be here today. He shouldn't have gone beyond 8-10 weeks gestation. Then, with pre-term labor a serious concern...he 'tried' to come, 'tried' really hard to come constantly between weeks 22-34! God was protecting him. My full-term baby was born on Thursday, October 24, 1997 at 4:12pm...8 lbs. 3.5 oz...23.5 inches long! I love that boy more than words can say. He has been with me through thick & thin...literally. I truly believe God has great things in store for him. I love to watch him play football, even though I'm the mom, sitting in the bleachers, saying "ooh, don't hit my baby"...lol...John thinks I'm crazy...and I embarass Josh...but the thought of my baby boy, hurt, just hurts me. We rarely see eye-to-eye, mostly because we are so much alike. The memories we are making with him are priceless...he is getting in a habit of praying at night...John prays with him every night at bedtime. He is the most thoughtful kid, ever. He has the biggest heart...though, he doesn't just show it to anyone. I just hope that one day he knows how much I love him, from the bottom of my heart, I love him.



Camille...my little monkey! My my my...she is how I know that God has a sense of humor! I begged and begged for another baby, even.after I knew that I would not be able to carry any more. I still knew there was some way to make it happen. It happened...and she's ours. And, boy, does she keep us on our toes. God must know that I need a challenge...I don't always like a challenge...but apparently God thinks I need challenges! Cami 'can be' a sweet girl. I am so very thankful that she is ours, we love her dearly...she most definately completes our family. She provides us with so much laughter. She loves to read books...she's learning her letter sounds, so she's learning to put them together in books...she'll be reading to me before too long! She brings so much joy to our lives. I hope, one day, that she will know how we longed for her, how she truly completed our family.



Finally, my sad thought...my kids don't have the privilege of having a relationship with their grandparents like I did. John's parents are awesome, but they live far away...they will always be a part of the kids' lives, but they are not in their day-to-day life. My dad & Kayla, pretty much the same thing. They adore the kids...but they are a good distance away, and Kayla (having MS, it limits her) does what she can, but isn't able to travel much. My mom isn't far away, but isn't really the 'maternal' kind...sorry mom, if you're reading this. My mom is one of my best friends, I love her dearly...but, you know it's true. My kids simply don't have the grandparent influence that I did, as a child, and that makes me sad...because I know how much joy my grandparents brought to my life...and still do. I look at some of the ways that I do things...I took a lot from my Gram. My kids only have me to look up to. I'm okay with that, but it still makes me a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment