Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blessings and changes...

Once again, I am reminded of how blessed I am.

I have been reading some life-changing books over the past several weeks. Karen Kingsbury "Redemption Series", I finished...now I'm onto the "Firstborn Series", I'm starting book 4 today! I am hooked. I have read these 8 books faster than I've ever read in my life...they are soooo good. I encourage anyone...anyone...to read these. Boy, I wish my husband would read!

That brings me to the reason I wanted to blog tonight...not really to 'talk' about the Karen Kingsbury books, but I guess they are the reason for the way I've been thinking lately. I have wanted to make some changes in my life for quite some time now. I have finally been given the kick in the rear to DO it! God's kicks don't feel too good. But, they are unmistakable that's for sure.

I have done a lot of thinking about what I am thankful for...and that is all fine, but what do I want to change or add to my life to make it more fulfilling? A life God wants for me. A life God wants for my family.

Don't get me wrong. I have a great life. I have a wonderful husband. I have awesome children.

I am very wasteful with my time. I do not appreciate my husband as much as I should. I do not honor my husband as I always should. I don't always appreciate my kids. Sometimes I take the great things that God has given for granted. I don't always listen for that obvious voice of God in my daily decisions. I don't read my Bible the way I should, to be totally honest, I don't always want to. I watch way too much TV. I procrastinate...a lot! I could go on and on...but I'll leave it at that for now.

God has used these fictional stories, so carefully crafted, so work in my life! So, these are some of the areas I plan to get to work on. Now. Today (I am writing this after I've thought all day...lol).

I am not a good communicator. For anyone who knows me well, this may come as a suprise to you...because I LOVE talking. But there is a huge difference in talking and true communication. Big difference! I can always talk. But, I don't often really open up. And, I'm surely not going to just open up to anyone. So, that is one thing I plan to work on...my communication, with everyone in my life...starting with my God! Today, I cancelled some of the shows I normally TiVo...some because of the content that I shouldn't be watching anyway (yep, I was convicted) and some because I want to spend more time away from the TV!!

I am very sarcastic. In some ways this can be good. In some ways it isn't. One thing I do, often, is talk sarcastically to my husband and children. My words aren't always taken the way I meant them to be. This can lead to confusion and any mix of feelings from them. And, it can hint of disrespect. How can I expect my kids to respect others when I don't always treat others with respect? In no way do I truly want to disrespect my husband! I will work on showing him more respect. I am also working on showing my kids more respect. Today, I talked respectfully to both of my children and my husband!

I am a decent housekeeper, but not the best. I want to work on getting things done better, quicker. Not let dishes sit in the sink. Not let laundry sit in the basket. How can I expect my kids to do things that I, myself do not do? Today, I washed, dried, folded, hung up and put away 5 full loads of laundry!! Today, I kept all dishes washed, dried and put away...all day!! Today, I dusted my house. Today, I have done good! Tomorrow, I'll add making the bed!

I dwell on the past. I am horrible about this. I have been working on forgiveness (of myself and others) lately. I think that's where a lot of these other things has originated from, honestly. I am working on this. I am doing better...all with God's help of course. I couldn't do it myself. It is definately not human nature to forgive...it is human nature to remember! I am working with God and against human nature...we'll see how this goes, it is also an ongoing project!

I am trying to get more excercise. I lost a little bit of weight over the past few months and it has felt good. I know that my body is a temple that God gave me to cherish. I need to take care of it, honor my body, treat it the way God wants me to. I am walking at least a mile or two every weekday...to start, I'll work my way up from there. That is another ongoing project!

I think that's plenty to work on for now...please pray for me. I am also wanting to increase and improve my prayer time. God deserves more of my time (and that great communication that I'm already so good at!).

I welcome any comments and/or advice if you want to share with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment