Friday, March 25, 2011

Giggles & Frowns...

Today was the big day. Cami had her old ear tubes removed and new ones put in. This has been the most important topic around our house for much of the past week. She was getting all prepared!

We got to the hospital and waited and waited. Cami didn't get too nervous right away, she actually seemed to be very interested in what was going on. Thankfully. Becuase, I was dreading the separation that was to come. While we waited in pre-op, Cami took some pics to remember her little visit to the hospital...

They checked her out, again...and she was a trooper! Then we went to the "playroom" again. Cami & I played a Mario Wii game...we lost, miserably!

We were called back to the prep room, where Cami was to get "giggle juice". Cami took the *juice* without a problem. It didn't kick in for a little while, but once it did...IT DID! She was so funny. I asked her if she was feeling silly yet. She said, "Mommy, I don't feel silly...but my head feels spin-ny". Then she would lift her head up and giggle, I guess she felt as though she had accomplished something big! It was hilarious. Everyone should see their child on *giggle juice* at some point in their young's quite the experience!

She smiled as they took her away on her *wheel-y bed*!

Surgery lasted only a few minutes...literally, the doctor was out and talking to us about 7 minutes later. It is such a quick, simple procedure. It took her quite a while to come-to afterwards. Anesthesia kicks her butt! We sat in recovery with her for over an hour before she started to wake up...all of the other kids that went in around the same time as she did had left before she even opened her eyes!

When she finally started coming out of it, she was very expected. But, she would ask "are we done yet?". John & I would tell her "yes, you're all done". Then she would tear up and say "NO, it can't be done yet". It was so strange. She did this for a while before she really woke up good. Finally, she was a little more alert. At that point, she didn't want a drink, she didn't want a popsicle, she didn't want jello...nothing. We had to have the anesthesiologist come by to make an exception for her to go home without eating or drinking before leaving, since she would not do it! She said she wanted to stay at the *hos-ipal*! I don't know what was going through her mind.

We had to dress her and get her all ready, all while she was crying because she wanted to stay. All I can figure out is that she had gotten all prepared for this day and thought that she knew what to expect, but then after she came out she couldn't remember anything! That just didn't sit well with her. She couldn't remember anything, so we *must* not be finished, so "I'm staying"!

We finally got her to the car, and she covered her head with her blanket and didn't talk to us until we got half-way home! When we stopped to get lunch, she perked up and told us she was starving. She ate lunch and seemed fine.

She has been fine all afternoon and evening. Thank goodness it is over...I do not want to deal with that cranky thing ever again!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers today...and to my awesome, good friend Emily...for a wonderful dinner. You are amazing, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment