Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Days...

We woke up this morning at 6am...way earlier than normal for me! John had airport duty (the kids left for break today and he drove some of them to the airport), therefore he wasn't here to get the meat started!! Let me start with something here...I have never operated a grill before, not even for a hot dog! With that said, I (succesfully, I might add) started the grill (for smoking, not grilling) got the meat on, kept the temperature where it needed to be...and didn't mess up a thing! John got back around noon...I kept it all going for 5 hours, by myself! Though, I did have an awesome neighbor come chop some wood for me...thanks Chris! So, John finished the meat...we had brisket, chicken and sausage. It was delicious.

It's funny how our senses can take us back to earlier days in our lives...specifically, smell. The smell of the mesquite wood took me right back to the day that I met John. It was 4th of July BBQ at Hallmark Baptist Church, 2001. Rick & Alycee had invited me to the BBQ. I was with Alycee and John was helping Rick out back, with the huge smoker. From that day on, John and I were a pair! I knew right away that we were meant for eachother...but that's another story. That smell, that smokey smell took me right back to that moment. I also remembered many other times that John stayed up with Rick all night long, at church, smoking brisket in that giant smoker. Some nights were warm Summer nights, some were cold Winter nights...but the smell never changed. We lived near the church at the time. Often, I would bring the guys snacks during the night...it was just a nice trip down memory lane. Rick left us a few years ago after a long, courageous battle with cancer. There is no doubt in my mind that Rick has made himself at home up there in Heaven. I once heard Rick referred to as a 'social butterfly'...that is so true. Can you even imagine just 'fluttering' around in Heaven, just socializing? Wow! That's all I can say, Wow! But for now, memories is what we have...I miss Rick, but I know he's in a better place and I know that he wouldn't want to be back here...especially after experiencing what I'm sure he is experiencing there!

After dinner came the clean up...not my favorite part of the day, but it has to be done! Josh did a great job of helping out...don't know if he was trying to be on his best behavior while his girlfriend was here or not, but I'll take it! They both helped out a lot...carrying dishes here and there, bringing things inside, putting away chairs...things my kids normally whine about when I ask them to do it.

While Josh and Claire were watching a movie (in the next room, with the door open, being checked on quite often...lol) Cami decided that she and I were going to have a tea party! Cami loves to have tea parties...but they are normally reserved for sis. Lately, she will have a tea party anytime. That's fine with me, she'll only want to have tea parties with Mommy for a short time, so I'm enjoying the time I have now. It is so sweet...she lays out the porcelain dishes just the 'right' way, then she gives each of us a napkin and pours the 'tea'. Tonight, it was actually tea. She prays. "Dear Lord, thank you for this day, thank you for keeping us safe, please keep us safe tomorrow at the ballgame, Amen" Cheers! I love it. We chit chatted and enjoyed our little tea party for a while.





Cami then decided that it was time to rain on big brother's parade...she went to sit and watch the movie with Josh and Claire! Actually, the movie was ending, so she didn't irritate them too much. Josh mentioned baby pictures, so we pulled out his baby scrapbook and showed Claire his baby pics! It was really cute. My baby boy officially has his 1st real girlfriend...uh oh!



Now, Cami is sound asleep, Josh is passed out, John is snooring in the recliner and I am not quite ready for sleep just yet. I will be soon though...it's been a long day! Tomorrow, we are taking Claire and Lace with us to the Ranger game...

No comments:

Post a Comment